Skip to main content

What I Want Women To Know About Staying Safe On Dating Apps


I recently read a heartbreaking story about a woman who was murdered by a man she met on a dating app, and it made me stop and think about how safe dating apps actually are. While it certainly seems to be the way to meet people nowadays, there are some pretty important steps that should be followed in order to avoid finding yourself in a potentially dangerous situation.

Don't ignore the red flags.

Listen to your gut.  If something doesn't feel right, it probably isn't.  No one is perfect, and there will undoubtedly be some differences between you and the man you're talking to online, but if you find yourself making excuses for his behavior and chalking it up to him "just being excited" or thinking "maybe he'll be normal in person", think twice about the excuses  you're making for him and whether or not they are actually valid.

If he's pushy on the phone, it's going to be even worse in person.

Everyone is on their best behavior when you first start talking.  It's easy to hide things over the phone.  So if the guy you're talking to seems pushy now, just wait til you meet in person.  Once he physically has you in front of him, it's going to be a lot harder for you to avoid his advances.  Being interested is one thing, but being pushy and making you feel uncomfortable is completely different.

Do not, under any circumstances, tell a person whom you don't know where you live.

We all learned stranger danger when we were younger, but maybe some of us need a refresher course.  In the old days, it was perfectly acceptable for a man to pick you up at your house, but that was when women still lived with their parents til they were married and their daddy was at home cleaning a shotgun waiting for his daughter to return home.  That is not how the world is now, and you should absolutely, under no circumstances, tell a man whom you don't know where you live.  Do not have him pick you up at your house for your first date.

Have your first date in public.

This goes back to the previous piece of advice, but if you are meeting someone for the first time, your first date should always, always be in a public place.  Drive your own vehicle to the place you're meeting so you have a means of escape.  Tell a close friend or family member where you will be, what time you expect to be leaving, and as much information as you know about the person you're meeting as possible.  This may seem like it's extreme, but it's better to be overly cautious than to end up on an episode of Dateline.

If a sexual assault happens, do not feel guilty.  You are the victim.

I don't care how much flirting you did prior to the date- NO means NO.  If you ever find yourself in a situation where you are feeling pressured into doing more than you want to do sexually, find whatever out you can.  If you don't have an out, first of all, let me say I am so, so sorry.  Secondly, I want to say that there are resources out there to help you deal with what happened.

RAINN (National Sexual Assault Hotline): 800.656.HOPE (4673)
Crisis Text Line: Text HOME to 741741

Don't let this define you or take away your desire for love and happiness.

For every bad guy out there, there are 10 good ones.  Yes, you want to be cautious going forward.  But it doesn't mean that your chance at love and happiness is gone forever.  There are things you can do to protect yourself, and you'll know the warning signs to look out for so you don't find yourself in that situation again.  Dating apps can be a great way to meet a potential mate, but they are also full of men that you do not know, and precautions should always be taken to keep yourself safe.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5 Ways To Make Money From Home That Are Legit

Long before I became a single mom, I was a stay-at-home-mom. While my then-husband supported us, I was constantly trying to find ways to help with the household expenses. I did years of Google searches, which often led to wasted hours signing up for survey companies or get-rich-fast schemes that left me with nothing but an inbox full of spam emails. I did have some success, though, and I'd like to share those successes with you in hopes that it helps other moms struggling to make ends meet or trying to find a way to feel like they're contributing financially to the household (even though trust me  stay-at-home-mama's, I know you've got the hardest job around). So, without further ado, here are 5 ways I've made money working from home- some of which I'm still doing 6 years later. 1. Textbroker This is the top dog for me because it's how I supplement my income from working at a school. I've been a Textbroker  author for 6 years and I really enj

I Suffered From Debilitating Migraines...Here's What Helped

I started getting migraines when I was 15.  They were bad enough to make me hole up in my bedroom for the day, but they were manageable.  These "normal" migraines continued until I was 25....then I had my son and everything changed. I was okay after I first delivered him, but when he was a few months old, I started noticing I was having trouble driving.  I'd get dizzy on winding roads (we lived in the country at the time), and sometimes I'd have to pull over to sit for a few minutes until the spinning stopped. I mentioned it to my doctor and he said I probably had BPPV (benign paroxysmal positional vertigo), which is when small calcium crystals kind of float around in your inner ear and make you dizzy.  He gave me a prescription for meclizine and sent me on my way. I tried this for awhile, but it wasn't really helping.  Being a busy mom with a little one at home, I just dealt with it for awhile.  That was until one morning when everything changed. My son was about