Skip to main content

The Silent Grief After A Suicide



There's grief, and then there's silent grief.  Both hurt just as intensely, but one is suffered more in the darkest shadows of our soul, while the other is more openly recognized and talked about.

The loss of anyone brings about an indescribable pain, and grief is the process that follows that loss.  While some of us grieve by crying, talking, and honoring our loved one who passed, others grieve silently.

I think that silent grief is more common when you've lost someone to suicide, because we simply don't know how to talk about it.  Those who are grieving don't understand why it happened and often blame themselves for not doing something to stop it--even though they know deep down there was nothing they could do.  The ones watching us grieve don't really know the right thing to say.  What do you say to someone who just lost their loved one in such a sudden and sad way?

All deaths are sad, but knowing that someone was in such deep despair that they would take their own life, that's absolutely soul crushing.

So many of us are trying to stay alive, so it's difficult to understand how someone could get to the point where they didn't want to live anymore.  I'm not going to pretend that I know how someone gets to that point, because I haven't been there--however, I have lost someone that I love to suicide, so I know all too well the silent grief that follows.

You replay over and over in your head your last few conversations, searching for some kind of sign that you may have missed.  You want someone or something to blame, and it's much easier to try to blame yourself than to place blame on the loved one you lost.

The fact is, it's not their fault, and it's certainly not yours.

They may have physically taken their life, but the reason or reasons they did are so far beyond your control or their control that there really is nothing that you could have done to stop that moment from happening.  As much as you want to wish it away and dissect it and think of all the "if only's", doing so is only hurting you more.

When someone dies from a physical illness, it's easy to blame the illness for the loss of your loved one.  Cancer, heart disease, diabetes, a car accident, even a homicide--they all come with someone or something to blame.  But with a suicide, who are you going to blame?  The loved one you lost?  No, absolutely not.  They were in pain.  Even if you don't understand it, you know deep down that you can't blame them for what they did.

So in comes the silent grief.  You don't talk about it as much as you would have if they had died from something else because you simply don't know how to talk about it.  So you hurt in silence, constantly wondering why and how this happened.

Eventually you might come to terms with it, so you can try to move on in some way, but that lingering silent grief never fully goes away.  It's not something you can lay to rest because you will never have all the answers.

As human beings, we crave answers.  We want to know the who, what, where, when, why, and how of things.  It's ingrained in us to solve problems this way.  But even if you logically have the answer to each one of those questions following a suicide, you will never be emotionally satisfied with the "why" question. 

That's where the silent grief will always stick around--floating the why over and over again in your head, until you take your last breath.

This is all my personal experience with grief after a suicide.  I'm sure there are some people who are able to fully heal after the loss of a loved one to suicide, but it hasn't been the case for me.

Although the grief isn't constant anymore, it still hits out of the blue.  The memories are sometimes healing, and sometimes they open the wound back up.  But the silent grief will always remain in some way because I will never have all the answers.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What I Want Women To Know About Staying Safe On Dating Apps

I recently read a heartbreaking story about a woman who was murdered by a man she met on a dating app, and it made me stop and think about how safe dating apps actually are. While it certainly seems to be the way to meet people nowadays, there are some pretty important steps that should be followed in order to avoid finding yourself in a potentially dangerous situation. Don't ignore the red flags. Listen to your gut.  If something doesn't feel right, it probably isn't.  No one is perfect, and there will undoubtedly be some differences between you and the man you're talking to online, but if you find yourself making excuses for his behavior and chalking it up to him "just being excited" or thinking "maybe he'll be normal in person", think twice about the excuses  you're making for him and whether or not they are actually valid. If he's pushy on the phone, it's going to be even worse in person. Everyone is on their best behavior when yo

5 Ways To Make Money From Home That Are Legit

Long before I became a single mom, I was a stay-at-home-mom. While my then-husband supported us, I was constantly trying to find ways to help with the household expenses. I did years of Google searches, which often led to wasted hours signing up for survey companies or get-rich-fast schemes that left me with nothing but an inbox full of spam emails. I did have some success, though, and I'd like to share those successes with you in hopes that it helps other moms struggling to make ends meet or trying to find a way to feel like they're contributing financially to the household (even though trust me  stay-at-home-mama's, I know you've got the hardest job around). So, without further ado, here are 5 ways I've made money working from home- some of which I'm still doing 6 years later. 1. Textbroker This is the top dog for me because it's how I supplement my income from working at a school. I've been a Textbroker  author for 6 years and I really enj

I Suffered From Debilitating Migraines...Here's What Helped

I started getting migraines when I was 15.  They were bad enough to make me hole up in my bedroom for the day, but they were manageable.  These "normal" migraines continued until I was 25....then I had my son and everything changed. I was okay after I first delivered him, but when he was a few months old, I started noticing I was having trouble driving.  I'd get dizzy on winding roads (we lived in the country at the time), and sometimes I'd have to pull over to sit for a few minutes until the spinning stopped. I mentioned it to my doctor and he said I probably had BPPV (benign paroxysmal positional vertigo), which is when small calcium crystals kind of float around in your inner ear and make you dizzy.  He gave me a prescription for meclizine and sent me on my way. I tried this for awhile, but it wasn't really helping.  Being a busy mom with a little one at home, I just dealt with it for awhile.  That was until one morning when everything changed. My son was about